One question I get all the time is how to do Lean Startup right, so I thought I’d take a minute and share a somewhat canonical answer.
The shortest 5 step description I can give goes as follows:
- Articulate your hypotheses (guesses about the unknowns) using the Business Model Canvas (BMC).
- Get out of the building and test these hypotheses using Customer Development.
- Validate learnings by building Minimum Viable Products and getting them in front of customers.
- Iterate (small variation, no real change in BMC) or Pivot (something changed in the BMC) as needed.
- Build – Measure – Learn (aka rinse, lather, repeat – because this is an iterative process, you have to get out of the building more than once to talk to customers)
By now, getting the the Lean Startup methodology right should not be a problem.
The hard part is still going to be creating a product people love.
This text was originally posted on LinkedIn.